VA’s My HealtheVet is a Personal Health Record website that helps veterans manage their information and benefit from VA’s online services. The reason this website has been developed is to manage all the data of veterans and gather their health care in one place. To avail themselves of this website, veterans must register.
One of the advantages of this web is that it contains over 18 million pages containing health information that would help educate veterans on various health subjects.
What are the merits of My HealtheVet?
My Healthevat helps you to view your appointments, check past vaccinations, review details about your allergies, see your prescription history, access online prescription refills, check lab results, and many other merits.
Veterans can also converse with doctors, nurses, clinical staff, and other members of their healthcare team through secure messaging. Also, My HealtheVet helps you better understand and improve your health status.
How does My Healthevet facilitate me?
My HealtheVet facilitates veterans in the following ways:
- By allowing veterans to record and store important health information.
- Also, by giving access to VA healthcare and information anytime.
- By enabling veterans to view, download, and print their personal health information so that they can share it with healthcare providers or family members.
- The site is formulated to encourage collaboration between medics and patients.
Types of accounts
There are many services that are provided and accessed by My HealtheVet, but it depends on the type of account in which you sign up, which are Basic, Advanced, and Premium.
A beginner is provided access to a Basic Account. A basic account provides limited access to My HealtheVet features and does not allow veterans to see their personal health information that is in DoD or VA systems.
The Basic account users can:
Create a personal health journal that contains information about health history, allergies, medications, and many other things that are inscribed in a health journal. Save emergency contacts and health care provider’s information.
- Record personal health reports like heart rate, cholesterol, hypertension, blood sugar level, and body weight and temperature.
- Print IDs of veterans.
- Set personal health goals and provide all the motivation to achieve those goals.
VA patients and veterans own an advanced account. It provides better and more features on My HealtheVet than the basic account. In addition to the features included with a basic account, an advanced account user have access to:
- Analyze specific information in their VA and DoD records.
- Refill prescriptions online.
An authentication process that verifies a veteran’s identity, either online or in-person, and requires My HealtheVet information to access VA/DoD records is only possible by a premium account.
Once a user’s identity has been authenticated, they can access to:
- VA Admissions and Discharges
- Past and future VA appointments
- Lab results, pathology reports, and health reminders
- Premium account holders can also access various mobile apps making their My HealtheVet accounts even more convenient, which include:
- VA Video Connect connecting with their health care team.
- MoveCoach, which lets veterans set and track goals on health and wellness
- Stay Quit Coach, which offers resources to help veterans quit all the bad and unhealthy habits especially smoking.
- Mindfulness Coach, which helps veterans to relax out
- PTSD Coach, which allows veterans to help manage PTSD
Why should I register?
My Healthevat offers Veterans secure and trusted access to better manage their health care and also offers facts about other VA services. My HealtheVet also provides them opportunities and tools to make better decisions.
It also helps to view their VA appointments, lab test results, and list of allergies. It also provides electronic communication to communicate electronically with their health care teams through “Secure Messaging”.
What are the features?
Along with the benefits mentioned above, some other features are:
Veterans can refill prescriptions, medications and acknowledge their mailed medications in the pharmacy.
My HealtheVet allows veterans to manage schedules and appointments. Veterans can also schedule their appointments for physical or mental health and add non-VA appointments to a Health Calendar on the website.
- Secure messaging:
Veterans can communicate with their health care providers online by secure messaging that allows them to ask any query concerning health, update their health team, and manage VA appointments.
- Healthy Living Assessment:
Veterans can tell about their health history and choices and receive a personalized summary that includes current health status, risks of developing major diseases, and a list of healthy changes that they can make now to improve their current and future health.
It also allows them to share their medical records with health care providers through two main systems, the Blue Button and the VA Health Summary.
- Blue Button:
The VA Blue Button allows veterans to view, save, download, and print their VA health and DoD Military Service Information for sharing and other purposes.
VA health summary:
VA Health Summary is a Continuity Care Document (CCD) that enables veterans to share their health information from one health care system to another via online websites.