The Linksys extender setup process is easy to set your extender and lets you configure its wireless settings. It does not involve any major complexity and hence can be done without any advanced technical knowledge. Let us ponder more into the Linksys extender setup process and know a bit about the login process as well in this blog.
Before starting, make sure that you have completed the below:
- A working 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless connection.
- Your router WiFi setting, such as the security key/password and the WiFi names (SSID).
- Connect your device, computer, or mobile to Linksys extender with your computer or mobile device.
- You need to have proper and stable internet access to begin the installation.
- The necessary wires and cables should be damage-free.
- Sufficient power supply.
Linksys Extender Setup Process:
- Open any compatible browser on your computer or mobile device, and enter http://extender.linksys.com or 192.168.1.1 in the address bar.
- Click on Start Setup.
- After creating an admin password, you need to enter your password hint and then save it.
- Select “Next” after choosing “A wireless range extender”.
- When asked, select the current WiFi network and then enter your password. If you are connected to dual-band networks, you will find the SSIDs from both bands.
- Select Manually Enter Network Name or Password if you use an unidentified SSID. Please wait until the WiFi is found and then click it.
- Set up the network extender SSID together with your wireless username.
- Only the range extender option will display the spot-finder page. This function determines the strength of the signal from the router and the range extender.
- The device will search for the most current firmware and automatically update it.
Range extender configuration by wired connection
Make sure to connect your PC to the extender. Make sure that the WiFi settings are appropriately checked. It is possible to experience a failure to Login because of inaccurate details input.
Follow the lead below:
- Connect your PC to the range extender with an Ethernet cable.
- This allows you to access the online configuration page for an extender.
Configuring Linksys extender:
- Start by opening any compatible browser.
- Next, input the default URL address.
- You always have an option to input the default IP address 192.168.1.1 as well within the address bar.
- You will be required to enter the server password. The option of leaving the username field blank is also available.
- Select the wireless option first. Now you can choose basic wireless settings.
- Type into the SSID in the provided field following the radio manual button in the configuration view section.
- Pick the type of security your router is currently using in the security feature for wireless.
- Enter the passphrase or the WiFi password. Be sure to type only the passphrase comprised of at least eight characters, which is case-sensitive.
- Lastly, after you have made the necessary adjustments, save the settings.
Configuration of the Web-based utility:
Below are the possible ways mentioned to get access web-based configuration page.
- Firstly, make use of any compatible browser.
- Enter http://extender.linksys.com in your compatible browser.
- To access from Windows as well as Android, type http://modelxxx into your browser. Also, you can type http://modelxxx for Android. http://modelxxx for iOS or macOS. Enter the model’s number and 3 characters of the IP address of the range extender if you’re employing this technique. You will need the custom name if you are changing the extender’s address.
- The range extender’s IP is entered. If your range extender cannot detect a DHCP host, its default IP is 192.168.1.1. You will need to find your range extender’s IP address and the range extender on your router’s DHCP client table if you are having trouble accessing the web-based setup page of your extender. If that happens, you could reset it back to factory settings.
- A password is also an essential requirement. Ensure you enter your new password if you have previously changed your password. If you don’t have an administrator account, enter admin into the Password box and click Login.
Configuration via the Wi-Fi-protected setup:
The wifi-protected setup makes the extender’s network connection more efficient and allows you to join other gadgets to the network via the extender. The router should be compatible with the wifi-protected setup, and then you can connect the extender and router.
Follow the provided series of instructions for the same:
- Hit the WPS button on the extender for a minimum of one second. In the case of a dual-band router, you can repeat the process for the other network to be extended. This time, the 2.4 GHz will extend first.
- Click on the WPS button in the WPS setup screen of your router or follow the initial procedure.
By using the wifi-protected setup PIN:
It is easily found in the product’s label on the reverse of the extender. If your router’s management features a wifi-protected menu for setting up, you can then only utilize this method.
Follow the steps:
- Input the extender’s pin in the correct field on the WPS screen of your router. Click Register. Once the connection has been established, the WPS setup light will remain steady for 10 seconds.
- Now, click “OK” to finish the procedure.
Troubleshooting instructions for Linksys extender setup:
- Try to restart or reboot the extender if the setup has any issues or if you fail to access the login page.
- Do not begin the procedure until the light flashes in orange.
- Verify that your extender has been connected to the power supply correctly.
- The browser cache and cookies can cause issues, so remove them before using the browser.
- After you have started typing the password, check their case sensitivity.
- Also, make sure that the extender’s firmware is up to the latest version. If not, update it without interruption.
- If you are using an extender that has been refurbished, you should do the factory reset first.
- You can also carry out this power cycling by disconnecting the range extender to its power source.
- Also, verify the connection between your computer and the device.
- In the end, you can go to the reset option. No doubt, it will erase all the saved and customized settings, but it is the only option available in your favor.
Before resetting your Linksys range extender, you must always consider the above troubleshooting tips as there is no returning after that.
Based on the range extender model you have, the position of its reset button could differ. Press the reset button on the range extender for 8 seconds. For the reset to be complete, you must power cycle your device.
Reset via a web-based utility:
- Firstly, use a web browser to open the configuration webpage for the Linksys Range extender.
- Select Factory defaults under Administration.
- Hit the Restore Factory defaults button.
- It is possible to complete the procedure by disconnecting the extender plug to your power source. Then, turn off the device for 30 seconds, then reconnect the device.
If you would like to learn more details about Linksys extender setup, do not hesitate to contact our tech experts at the end.