The United States of America is often hailed as the “Land of Opportunities”. Though many people associate this with the plethora of job and money-making opportunities available across this country, it also refers to the various avenues available to study in USA. Also, one could get an idea if one looks at the various top-notch and globally renowned colleges/universities in this country.
This post attempts to shed light on the quality and scope of available opportunities, especially to the foreign/international students in the colleges/universities here.
Study in the USA for Indian Students after 12th
The United States is one of the most preferred destinations, especially for Indian students, due to the plethora of opportunities available for higher education here. It is understandable that one of the most developed nations in the world also has some of the most advanced and top-notch curricula in all the important career fields.
However, what makes the United States stand out from the others and attract students from around the world is the quality of the pedagogy and teaching. Before going into further details, it becomes important to know the various educational opportunities available for all those who enroll in American universities.
- Science in Management Studies
- Business Administration
- Financial Engineering
- Advanced Management
- Business Analytics
- Professional Accounting
(NOTE: Bachelors and Masters Courses available in all the top fields)
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineering
- Automobile Engineering
- Aviation Engineering
- Computer Science Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
- Doctor of Medicine (MD)
- Master of Surgery (MS)
- Biology and Biochemistry
- Health and Societies
- Speech and Hearing Sciences
- Brain and Cognitive Science
- MS Computer Science
- Information Management
- Cloud Computing
- Ethical Hacking
- IoT: Business Implications and Opportunities
- Cybersecurity Leadership
The lists above only state the “best of the best” in terms of courses to study in the USA for Indian students after 12th. It means that there are quite a few programs available for studying here apart from the ones that have been mentioned above.
Most Important:- Eligibility Criteria For IELTS Test For Indian Students
So, students need not worry about “limited opportunities,” at least in the United States. It is hailed to be the Land of Opportunities after all!
Cost of Studying in the USA for Indian Students
Budget is one of the most, if not single-handedly the most important consideration in the minds of the students as well as parents. This is understandable as when one decides to study in the USA, he/she dedicates multiple years of his/her life there. Also, this prospect is paramount in determining the future career path of said students.
There are several top-notch and prestigious universities in the United States, which can make a choice quite difficult for the students. Thus, here are some of the most sought-after colleges/universities in this country that shall be the best choices currently.
The list has been given along with the cost of studying in USA for Indian students.
- University of California = INR 15-45 Lakh
- University of Arizona = INR 20-30 Lakh
- The University of Colorado = INR 10-18 Lakh
- University of Alabama = INR 20-30 Lakh
- University of Massachusetts = INR 25-30 Lakh
- Arizona State University = INR 16-22 Lakh
- Oregon State University = INR 20-30 Lakh
- Iowa State University = INR 18-20 Lakh
- Texas A&M University = INR 8-18 Lakh
- Northeastern University = INR 12-15 Lakh
(NOTE: The amounts that have been mentioned above were taken at a date when currency rates were USD 1 = INR 74-75)
Students will be delighted to learn that the universities charge no donations/capitation fees over and above the amounts that have been mentioned above.
Apart from this, it is advisable for the students to carry extra cash (forex card available as well!) for other additional and unexpected expenses that students need to undertake daily.
Scholarship to Study in the USA for Indian Students
No matter how the universities in the United States structure their fees, there will be many students in India especially, those who will find it hard to match their budgets to the costs. This won’t stop one from fulfilling their dreams of a globally recognized American degree, though.
This is made possible by offering scholarships to study in the USA for Indian students. In total, there are 5 main scholarships that students need to keep in mind, which have been elaborated on below.
1. Fulbright- Nehru Scholarship (Govt. funded)
This scholarship covers all applicants with a J-1 Visa and applying for a master’s Ph.D. program. Other details of this scholarship include:
- It covers the tuition fee, accidents, and sickness according to the US guidelines.
- It also covers the living and airfare costs.
- In the case of a Ph.D., this scholarship, candidates are given a monthly stipend.
2. Hubert Humphrey Fellowship Program (Government-funded)
This scholarship aims to help a talented and bright young resource from a developing country to study in the USA for a 10-month non-degree graduate program and related practical experience.
- Those not adept with the requisite language skills but have outstanding skills in their field are offered the Long-Term English (LTE) language training.
- Students participating in the LTE program are given 20-25 weeks of intensive academic training to develop the necessary language skills.
- It covers tuition fees, living expenses, professional expenses (field trips, etc.), airfare, and monthly allowance.
3. YouAreWelcomeHere Scholarship (Non-Government scholarship)
This scholarship is also a social medical campaign to invite more and more international students to study in the USA.
- First and foremost, students need to submit an essay/video highlighting the reason/interest for this prospect as well as leadership skills one can showcase
- Students are offered 2 annual renewable scholarships with a minimum 50% cover on tuition fees of the selected UG program.
4. IEFA (Non-Government scholarship)
Sponsored by Abbey Road Inc., the focus is on 14-18-year-old high schoolers having outstanding performance in academics and ECAs.
Currently, 5 scholarships of $1000 are given out every year.
5. AAUW International Fellowships (Non-Government scholarship)
Dedicated to women students, it covers graduate and PG courses in accredited US institutions.
- Master’s/1st professional degree = $5,000-$18,000 (renewable for a 2nd year)
- Graduate or Postdoctoral = $18,000-$30,000
When it comes to encapsulating the study in the USA for Indian students after 12th, there are many opportunities available in all the top fields like medical, engineering, management, and IT fields.
Being the Land of Opportunities, American universities ensure that more and more Indian students get the opportunity to study here, irrespective of economic background. Thus, universities structure their fee structures that don’t burden one’s pockets.
Additionally, it offers scholarships to ease the burden of studying in the USA for Indian students. Overall, this is a great and safe prospect for students planning to go abroad for studies.