Visiting Canada and ending up loving it is predictable. The locations, the lifestyle, the work opportunities available are lucrative packages. To get your hands on it, you have to go through a fair amount of procedures such as immigration, Work Visa in Canada, etc. These procedures are a difficult task. But with the right kind of assistance, it can help you achieve your dreams.
How to Convert a Visitor Visa to a Work Visa?
A work visa legally allows the applicant to work with a Canadian employer. For the Visa Canada work permit, the applicant needs to have a job offer. In addition, the candidate must follow all the immigration rules to the road of employment.
The only way to convert the visitor visa is to re-apply for the Canadian visa with a work permit. Moreover, if the applicant meets the eligibility criteria of employment and has the relevant documents, then the immigration office will approve a work visa.
What are the Types of Work Permits?
You can select any of these permits depending upon your requirement and suitability:
- Work Visa on LMIA basis: The candidate must have an LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment) certificate to work in Canada. This certificate portrays that the candidate is best for the position, and no Canadian resource can fulfill it.
After receiving the LMIA letter and job offer, the candidate can apply for a temporary work visa.
- Temporary Work Visa: To legally work in Canada, there are two types of temporary work permits:
- Open Work Visa Canada: This allows the applicant to work for any employer except for the one listed as ineligible.
- Employer-Specific Work Permit: This lets you work according to the conditions of your company’s work permit. Before applying, the employer should give you either an LMIA certificate or an offer of employment number.
- Post-graduate Work Permit (PGWP): This permit is specifically for students who have graduated with a degree/diploma course from a Designated Learning Institute (DLI).
The student can apply within 180 days of graduation or the day they receive their transcripts. The validity of this permit is a maximum of 3 years.
- Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP): Also known as Bridging visa. This permit is a lot versatile than any other work permit in Canada.
The Bridging Visa allows the immigrants to work while they wait for their permanent residence in Canada. This permit is also the gateway to apply for permanent residence with less processing.
Eligibility Criteria to Apply for a Work Permit
IRCC provides a highly detailed guide to apply for a work permit. Make sure to go through it and check all these eligibility criteria before applying for the visa Canada work permit:
- You need to have a job offer from a genuine employer.
- Your employer must provide an LMIA certificate to you.
- You will also have to satisfy an officer that at the end of your tenure, you are going to leave Canada.
- You have to prove that you have enough financial aid for yourself.
- Prove to be law-abiding and not be a danger to the security of Canada.
- Maintain good health and provide all documents requested by the officer.
After getting your LMIA letter, you can apply for the permit from inside Canada in 2-ways:
- Flagpoling Process: The applicants inside Canada go out of Canada and apply for a work permit on re-entering Canada.
- Online Application: The visitors can apply online due to COVID-19. However, the applicant must verify this option as the situation is constantly changing.
Work Permit from Inside Canada
There are some immigration rules to be followed to apply for a work permit residing in Canada if the following apply to you:
- You, your spouse, or your parents should have a valid work or study permit. To apply for a Study Permit, you have to get admission into a DLI institute. (Getting a study permit is another way to apply for a work permit both from inside or from outside Canada).
- You have a work visa for one job but want to apply for some other job.
- If you are eligible for PGWP and your study permit is still valid. Complete a study term for a minimum of 8 months in DLI to be eligible for PGWP. The open work visa Canada will be given to you once you complete your study term and enjoy the benefits of PGWP.
- You or your parents or spouse has a temporary resident permit that has a validity of 6 months or more.
- You are waiting for the permanent residence of the spouse or your parents.
If none of the above apply, then you would have to process from outside Canada.
Work Permit from Outside Canada
If you are outside Canada and wish to apply for a work visa, then you will have to apply:
- To any Canadian Embassy or Consulate in the USA.
- To any commanding officer of the country, you belong to.
- The Authoritative for your resident country.
You will have a face-to-face interview, and you have to produce all relevant documents at the specific Canadian Immigration office. Next, you will be required to fill all the forms and clear the fees immediately.
Handling all the visa services and immigration procedures is a cumbersome task. However, several visa consultancy companies cater to all the needs seamlessly, be it for a Visa Canada work permit or immigration. They also provide end-to-end guidance for all the approaches to the client diligently.